Saturday, August 28, 2010

Books as a Gift of Love


Every time I walk into the local library, I almost weep with gratitude for the abundance of books that are there at my fingertip. Since childhood, libraries have been a place of refuge, opulence, escape; a place where my mind can soar. Even in communities where there are no formal libraries, there are Bookmobiles.

I’ve come to take for granted knowledge in the form of the written word. For me, books are a way of life. Not everywhere, however.

One of our Sonoma County jewels, writer Regina Ramos Hooker, has taken her love of the written word and her belief that everyone deserves the gift of being able to read, to Africa. Please visit her website www.kenyan-libraries.org to read about the work she is doing there, and to contribute in a way that will enrich and enhance your life as well as the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment